Booking is a slang term police use to process an individual following a lawful arrest.
Also important to remember is that each jurisdiction has their own policy and laws governing these processes. There are several basic steps required:
- Police record the suspect’s personal information (name, date of birth, social security number, address and other information).
- Document information about the crime committed.
- Checks the suspect’s criminal background for a history of crimes or outstanding warrants.
- Secures the suspects photograph, fingerprints, DNA sample and searches them.
- Confiscates personal property carried by the suspect.
- Places the suspect into a holding cell or local jail.
- If a suspect is going to receive a citation for their offense, they are released upon signing the form that indicates an initial court date.
- Once the officer releases the suspect to the jailer, they are relieved of their responsibility in the booking process.